HEAVEN’S BEST

HEAVEN’S BEST

It was summer. I was fifteen and looked forward to Fridays, as it meant a trip to the beach. Every week, our youth group put on an impromptu performance of songs and skits on the boardwalk to share the message of God’s love with those passing by.

One Friday we received a large donation of bread and pastries from a local bakery. “Let’s take it to the beach,” someone suggested. When we arrived and announced free loaves and pastries, a small crowd of needy and worn-looking people descended on our group. Most gratefully took what was offered, although two grumbled that their favorite variety of bread wasn’t amongst those offered. They refused what we had available to give, and walked off empty-handed, still grumbling.

Later, a young woman approached. She was pushing a double stroller, filled with not only two children, but what looked to be all her earthly possessions. “I heard you were giving away bread.” Her voice sounded almost desperate, like her life might have been. A wide-eyed toddler watched silently from his carriage while a baby slept fitfully. Their clothes looked fairly new, but the things packed into every spare inch of the stroller suggested that the woman had no place to stay.

I gathered the remaining food into a bag—some muffins, a couple of loaves—and gave it to her. She didn’t even look to see what was inside but thanked me profusely.

One of my friends began a conversation with the young mother. I turned to pack up but heard enough of the conversation to understand that he gave her the location of a woman’s shelter and money to get there. I was glad she had come to us, glad she was able to get a bit of help, a bit of hope. I also thought of the two who had left with nothing.

Twice, Jesus fed thousands of people with only a few loaves and fishes. When they wanted another meal, He replied, “I am the bread from heaven.” The best that heaven had was offered freely, just waiting for those who would have the faith to take it, to taste it, to recognize it for what it truly was. Yet most turned away empty.

The bread of heaven is given freely to all who seek. The times I remain unsatisfied are the times I do not let it enter my heart and fill my soul.
We thank Thee, Lord, for this our food,
For life and health and every good;
By Thine own hand may we be fed;
Give us each day our daily bread.
—John Cennick (1718–1755)

1. Doris
    January 12, 2016, 12:13 am   /  Reply

Need Bible verses. I always liked your devotionals but it just isn’t the same as before and not giving me what I need now.

• Christina
      January 16, 2016, 2:19 am   /  Reply

I agree. I miss the bible verses.

2. Gayle Passan
    January 15, 2016, 8:40 am   /  Reply

I am fairly new reading your app.so I don’t have anythi ng to compare them tom I really enjoy them and hopefully will continue to do so in the future! God bless

3. Laura Cunningham
    April 4, 2017, 8:08 am   /  Reply

This still speaks to me. The Bible verses are great but I’m not going to grumble because my favourite loaf is not in there. Lol. Thanks for this Word for today. Once again it hit the spot perfectly and answered my need today.
    Thank you VERY much. 😃

4. Jeffrey Tan
    January 11, 2018, 8:47 pm   /  Reply

What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world of devotional thoughts, but God’s words are missing? It is just like listening to a sermon without Christ being the centre of the message. So sad!

5. Lynne
    January 11, 2018, 9:02 pm   /  Reply

I truly miss the Bible verses. I feel that it is an important wrap up to the stories. We need our daily bread back in the daily devotions. Thank you.

6. Avis
    January 12, 2018, 2:57 am   /  Reply

Thank you for this passage. It is say that the blessing was not meant for the two that grumble and complain, but it was meant for the lady that came afterwards. Everything is not for everyone but might be for someone that really needs it. God knows what we need and when we need it. Always on time. We don’t always know what God is up to, but it is for us just to follow his plan’s. Don’t waste time trying figure things out ( that’s just a waste of time). But just go with the flow and it will be much better. I was try to figure out about Sometime that happens in 2017 ( i still in the past) and God is trying to prepare me for the future. If you would have try figure out why the two men didn’t take it. The woman and her children could have been without. God will be done. Thank you and keep on writing.

7. Mata Mani
    January 12, 2018, 5:54 am   /  Reply

I believe in first hand acquintance when it comes to the Word of God. How you did not quote the actual verses but gave tips in your message made me open the bible and look up where the story is and actually read the passage myself. I encourage the first 2 commentors to try it too. There is always a lesson or principle to be learned from Gods messengers even if they dont actually quote the verse from the bible. That I have learned not too long ago though I’ve been a Christian my whole life. It totally blew me when I realised that I was always reading just the verse only and missed out on the whole story in the bible cos I never bothered to look it up. Just a word of encouragement..God bless!

8. Ric
    January 13, 2018, 1:15 am   /  Reply

What’s the point of reading this dev. without the scriptures or verses? Better to read the Bible rather than this. I know what to do now for sure, hmmm delete this app… 😁