BEING THERE

If loved ones emigrate across the globe, cutting off all contact, we expect to miss them, to yearn for news of their well-being, to ache with the loss. How much more when that person emigrates out of this world completely! Even for those with faith in an afterlife, this world has changed irrevocably, and that is difficult to bear.

If you have a friend or colleague who has suffered the loss of a loved one, perhaps he or she has temporarily retreated from daily life to take time to remember, to collect photographs, write memoirs, or set up some sort of memorial. Tears are no doubt part of the journey as well. It’s okay to cry. Even Jesus wept. All these have their place in the natural and healthy grieving process.

There is a time for mourning. Let us hope that although their “harps”—the songs of faith and joy—are temporarily silent, they are not altogether discarded. “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.”

So when does the mourner find the strength to face life once more, to reclaim the harp, to sing the song of faith and joy? There is no timetable. The closer the relationship, the greater the agony of loss. A sudden death can be particularly difficult to bear. Parental loss—burying your child—is widely acknowledged as one of the most traumatic of bereavements. It takes time to mourn a loss of this magnitude.

May God help us be gentle with those who are immersed in grief and show our solidarity with a word of comfort, a phone call, a homecooked meal. We can support others through their loss by expressing our good memories of their loved one, by acknowledging the anniversaries, birthdays, and special days that mean so much to them, by taking time to listen. Let’s be there for our friends, just as God is always here for us.

John 11:35 (NIV) Jesus wept.

Psalm 30:5 (NIV)
For his anger lasts only a moment,
but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may stay for the night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning.

Hebrews 13:5 (NIV) Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
“Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

1. Doug
    September 12, 2016, 8:50 pm   /  Reply

Thank You, Larry. It is much appreciated. Doug

2. Avis
    October 6, 2017, 4:01 pm   /  Reply

Thank you for this message. As of today it has been a year since my daddy died . We was close growing up. But last several years of his life we got to reconnect. And thank God for that. I was able to forgive him. And I thought I would not cry for my daddy but I did, because Jesus give new heart to let go of the past and live in the present the here and now life to love him. And some days I still cry but I know he is in no more pain. So we should never take it for grant that someone will always be there. Embrace it and thank God for seeing or hearing their voice one more time. Be bless and love like the Bible says to love.

3. Pamela.
    October 6, 2017, 7:32 pm   /  Reply

4. Pamela.
    October 6, 2017, 7:33 pm   /  Reply

This my first time ever on this site. My daughter passed last year our only child. We know she belonged to God as all of us do, but, yes it hurts at timed. I really needed this today because I miss her so much! God bless!

5. Lois
    October 7, 2017, 7:27 am   /  Reply

Very good message. More people need to hear this message. In my younger days that is how people used to live. These days everyone is more like to themselves.

6. ademola
    October 9, 2017, 1:43 pm   /  Reply

The thought of love is still what has kept the world rolling till date somehow. The responsibilty that love is high