The cure for loneliness

The cure for loneliness

Question: How can I cope with the extreme loneliness that I feel?

Answer: If you’re lonely, you’re not alone! Many people today are lonely—especially in cities, where life has been aptly described as “millions of people being lonesome together.” Just living in the middle of a lot of people won’t necessarily relieve loneliness, because loneliness comes from being insulated from others, not only isolated. And sad to say, it is often self-inflicted. People build walls around themselves instead of bridges. So what is the cure for loneliness? Loving others. Consider this true story:

There once was a very lonely woman who was always seeking a new lover, but never finding one that satisfied or lasted or that relieved her loneliness. Why? Because she was always seeking to get love, to be loved! Then one day a friend suggested that perhaps she needed to learn to give love unselfishly for the benefit of another. After years of searching, this thought struck the woman as an entirely new idea. She went out and tried to find someone to make them happy, and soon found what she had been looking for all the time—true love!

So that’s the key, the simple solution to loneliness: If you give love, you’ll get love! If you’re sincerely concerned about others and show them love, they’ll be concerned about you and show you love. As Christians we can also share with others the love of all loves from the Lover of all lovers, Jesus Himself, who alone can satisfy that deepest yearning of every human heart for total love and complete understanding.

Jesus even satisfies that empty, lonely feeling that we all sometimes feel, no matter how many friends or loved ones surround us. The Lord has created a special place in our hearts that only He can fill. Although the body is of this earth and is satisfied with the things of earth, the human spirit, that intangible personality of the real you that dwells in that body, can never be completely satisfied with anything but utter union with the great and loving Spirit who created it.

Jesus wants us to love and be close to others, but first He wants to fill that aching void with His own love. Even when we have someone dear and close to us physically, there will always be that certain deep feeling inside that can only be satisfied by giving Him our whole heart and drawing close to Him!

Genesis 2:18 ESV / Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”

Matthew 28:20 ESV / Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Philippians 4:6-7 ESV / Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

1. Gladys
    March 14, 2015, 8:53 pm   /  Reply

Jesus has created me to always show love and compassion to others, yet other than the love from Jesus, my family and some friends I never been loved by a companion, that is a very sad loneliness to go thru, I never understood why those who give have to suffer in order to receive

• March 14, 2015, 10:15 pm   /  Reply

There are things that God is going to reveal to us through time and some may even be when we get to be with him in heaven. But the important thing is that no matter what we have gone through here on earth, as long as we have made Jesus our Lord there will always be hope. The only thing you can be certain of is that as a child of God, you are never alone. The word in Issaiah 41:10 says, do not be afraid for I the Lord will never forsake you

• C.K.
      March 18, 2015, 11:51 pm   /  Reply

Gladys, One doesn’t have to suffer to receive. Loving another, showing compassion for another, helping another should bring you joy, even if the love is not reciprocal. It’s like giving money to charity. We don’t get a personal thank you for that contribution, but our God knows! We won’t ever know who that contribution helped, but we know it helped someone. I am not discounting your feeling of lacking a companion, but keep in mind, when all else fails Jesus walks with us every step of the way. Give your love to Him, it will be returned ten fold! He has a plan for each and every one of us.

2. chi chi
    March 15, 2015, 4:56 am   /  Reply

Loneliness, self inflicted? What an eye opener.
    Lord teach me to build bridges and not walls. Amen.

• mychelle
      March 20, 2015, 10:57 pm   /  Reply

Amen,,, I will pray for you as well!!

• Lloyd
      April 26, 2015, 3:05 pm   /  Reply

Clinging to the book of life with Happiness and Laughter on a daily basis will lead to pure happiness.

Best of all, our serving can be done right where we are.

Father, show me this day the many ways my life can be surrendered to You, and then give me the strength to begin to act.

Don’t always ask Jesus what He can do for you; ask Jesus what you can do for Him.

Insight:
      In Romans 12:1 Paul encourages us to offer our bodies as a living sacrifice to God by exhibiting behavior that is pleasing to Him. However, verse 2 encourages us to have our minds renewed as well. God wants us to be totally His in both actions and thoughts.

• Lloyd
      April 26, 2015, 3:06 pm   /  Reply

Love other for Jesus

3. Felicia Odeyemi
    March 15, 2017, 12:37 am   /  Reply

God is love. May God give us the grace to love others as ourselves.

4. Grace
    March 15, 2017, 5:50 am   /  Reply

I believe, the cure for loneliness, found in Christ alone. If we live by His words he will grant us the desire of our hearts. Don’t get me wrong most of us desire to be married, because loneliness, is not a easy thing. But when we put our love and trust in God, he will provide the right spouse us.

5. Amber
    March 15, 2017, 9:27 am   /  Reply

I must say I love the verses attached to this and I do feel that when I am closest to the Lord I never feel alone and when I step away I can be in a room of people and still feel empty. There is a place He fills that no man or woman or child will ever be able to fill deep within us and I think sometimes we do not realize what we are searching for until we finally find it!

6. Stephen
    March 15, 2017, 2:46 pm   /  Reply

Hi there

7. Bernadette
    March 15, 2017, 3:52 pm   /  Reply

I can relate to the loneliness with family and friend around me but what’s the solution for me feeling like everyone else have a place with God except me that leaves me feeling empty and worthless

8. Spencer
    March 16, 2017, 8:52 am   /  Reply

Seasons change nothing stays the same acet for god

9. Spencer
    March 16, 2017, 8:55 am   /  Reply

My boyfriend is in a relationship with me for 3 in hal years and he is now telling me he wants a new friend so he will not be lonley i think he just needs to find god

10. March 16, 2017, 7:09 pm   /  Reply

Jesus Christ himself is love.For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believed in him shall never perish.So we shall love others because God loves us.By loveing others we shall not be lonely

11. Jacqueline Coleman
    March 16, 2017, 7:53 pm   /  Reply

The Floor as been Addressed, Beautiful Encouraging words it gives us Hope knowing there is a God that Loves and Care for us can’t get any better than that. God bless you ALL!!

12. Kerrie Dyczewski
    July 6, 2017, 7:51 am   /  Reply

I feel alot of loneliness right now Aug 12 will b 3 years for my mom and she was buried on my boyfriend boyfriends birthday that I was with 4 12 years and engaged to he died 4 months later right b4 x-mas and losing them I Lost my big sister I feel like I have nobody to even b here to help and understand with my pain My Heart hurts 4 my mom and sister but I’m angry about my boyfriend and people just don’t get it,if anyone reads this please pray for me bcuz I’m completely davistated right now and feel totally let down by many people, THANK YOU For your prayers and GOD BLESS

13. Mattie J O
    August 6, 2017, 12:22 pm   /  Reply

GOD BLESS EVERYONE NO MATTER WHAT THE SITUATION AND BEING LONELY ARE PART OF OUR LIFE AND GOD NEVER EVER SLEEP SO CONTINUE TALKING TO HIM EVEN IF NO ONE NEVER LISTEN BUT I KNOW HE WILL BECAUSE I TALK TO HIM EVERYDAY. P.S.WE ALL MUST PRAY FOR EACH OTHER AND JUST WATCH HOW HE WILL ANSWER EVERYONE PRAYERS PLUS MORE.PEACE.