Overcoming Personal Weaknesses

Q: I’ve prayed and even asked others to pray that I would overcome a certain personal weakness, but I never seem to be able to change. Why doesn’t Jesus answer my prayers and change me?

A: Whenever any of us recognize a personal problem and pray for the needed change, we are changed. “This is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him” (1 John 5:14-15).

So if you’ve prayed for a change, you have the victory. By the miracle-working power of the Holy Spirit and through the promises of God’s Word, you become the new person you’ve asked the Lord to make you (2 Corinthians 5:17; 2 Peter 1:4). The cocoon has been opened and the new person has come forth, ready to grow in the spirit. This is the first step–believing in the change.

The Word tells us that faith is the victory: “This is the victory that has overcome the world”–and all our problems–“even our faith” (1 John 5:4). The Lord has given you the victory. You just have to accept it by faith and work to strengthen the “new you.”

You get the victory the instant you confess you need the Lord’s help, claim His promises in His Word, and ask for it in prayer. But if you later say, “It must have been a false victory. The Lord must not have answered, because I’m still the same old mess I was,” then you’re surrendering the victory. As long as you hold on to it by faith and keep thanking the Lord for it, it’s yours.

The victory is yours by faith, even when you don’t feel like you have it.

That’s the key to the victory: believing that you have it because He promised it to you–and then acting like you believe it. Your feelings don’t have anything to do with it! The victory is yours by faith, even when you don’t feel like you have it. So keep praising and thanking the Lord for it, and soon you’ll see concrete results.

For the Lord to help you change the way you react in certain situations, He has to change your thought patterns. So when you asked the Lord to change you, in effect you asked Him to rewire you. That nearly always takes time and some effort on your part.

The Lord does most of it, of course, but your part is to put into practice what you know you need to do to form the right habits. That starts with resisting your past ways of thinking, and the best way to do that is with the Word. The Word is what bridges the gap and makes the connection with the new set of thought patterns the Lord has for you. That’s why it’s so important to read, study, and even memorize the Word.

Then once you are full of the Word, you must take the stand of faith by claiming the Lord’s promises and refusing to believe the Devil’s doubts–and you must do this over and over and over, every time you catch yourself slipping into your old thought patterns or old ways.

The more times you do this, the stronger your new thought and behavioral patterns will become, the more you will be “transformed by the renewing of your mind” (Romans 12:2), and the more evident it will be that the Lord has changed you!

Why Suffering?

Why Suffering?

Putting God First

Putting God First

You Can Overcome Your Past

You Can Overcome Your Past

1. January 20, 2014, 8:46 am   /  Reply

Amen,thanks god for his love.

2. ferdinand onuoha
    January 27, 2014, 5:48 pm   /  Reply

O LORD I THANK YOU FOR THIS TEACHING IT IS HELPING ME OVER COME A SIN THAT HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM IN MY LIFE GOD GIVE ME MORE GRACE

3. Lilian
    March 26, 2014, 6:44 pm   /  Reply

God’s word is new every morning. Thank u Jesus for ur grace. I love u lord.

4. patricia
    August 20, 2014, 2:29 pm   /  Reply

This has been a great help to me, it has answered my questions and I no longer feel unworthy and know what must do. For I truly desire a closer walk with the Lord. There is much to be done if I am to fullfill the vision placed in my spirit. Thanks so much, God bless

5. emmanuel
    September 12, 2014, 2:42 pm   /  Reply

Lord I come to you as a gay and a mAnsturbator and a weakler,a lier etc pls accept me this morning and course a change in me.

• tina haynes
      October 25, 2014, 10:55 pm   /  Reply

Praying for you

6. David Keirs
    November 16, 2014, 8:48 am   /  Reply

I got to the end of this message and realized “Wow I haven’t been doing my part even though God has done His” that is about to change. Amen.

7. Mary Baker
    October 21, 2015, 6:26 am   /  Reply

we keep God comandments we can ask what we will we can over come everything thats not like him i do belive thank lord Jesus

8. Shawna Bohne
    November 11, 2015, 5:55 am   /  Reply

Hi there my name is Shawna Bohne and I am going to be completely honest, I have been through hell and back. I am dating a man who is still married, but there relationship between them is he is her caretaker. I know that we are living in sin, and I am also a drug addict. I always thought that I will be on the other side of the fence, and I pray that God will please forgive me for all of my sins that I am and have commented through my whole life. I am supposed to see a psychologist tomorrow, but I am afraid that I will cry a lot cause that’s all that I’ve been doing for a very long time. I pray for a miracle from GOD right now ( dear God please stay within me and please don’t let me withdrawal from the medicines that I’m on and please let larry gaines be extremely helpful loving caring sweet, nice kind loving heart ) thank you LORD FOR EVERYTHING I AM SO GRATEFUL THANK YOU SO MUCH AND PLEASE PROTECT ME FROM ALL EVIL I LOVE YOU SO VERY MUCH GOD PLEASE DON’T LEAVE ME ALONE ) AMEN.

9. CHRIS
    November 16, 2015, 7:25 pm   /  Reply

Hi to all you wonderful people….just to let you know that I personally experienced what the love and forgiveness of God truly is , as I was an drug addict for many years and has seen the darkest side that life has to offer…Jesus chose to show me his love and forgiveness and now I can say to anyone? there is nothing you have done to make him close the door..and there is nothing you can do to make him love you more…God bless

10. Veronica Wambura
    February 23, 2016, 12:08 am   /  Reply

Amen!!

11. Marlene
    July 24, 2016, 6:21 am   /  Reply

Thank you for your teaching from the Holy Spirit. I have asking God to help me with my though pattern and how I react to situations. He is helping but I have failed so many times but by God grace I keep pushing with God’s help. Your teaching is helping me also. Thank You.

12. August 4, 2016, 2:44 am   /  Reply

Thank you for your teaching.I went through 20 years of coda meetings to not be co-dependent and only Jesus knows how ti make life work for us. I will also be praying for you. I can always cry on His sholder