My Best Friend

My Best Friend

By Randy Medina:

Four years ago I was rushed by ambulance to an emergency room. Four years ago I began a second life.

Hospital tests showed that I had late-stage cirrhosis of the liver. I had contracted Hepatitis C about 30 years earlier, when I was a teenager, and it had taken that long to have any noticeable effect on my liver. Now the effect was as severe as it was sudden. I was told that unless I received a liver transplant I would die.

From that day, the hospital became my second home. There I lived through some life-changing experiences–times of tears, times of acute loneliness and despair, times of soul-searching, times in dry and desolate places, and times in oases of joy. Best of all were my personal visits from Jesus, of which I had two.

The first question that came to me when I heard I was dying was, “Why me?” The second was “What have I done wrong to deserve this?” I didn’t ask those questions in an angry or self-righteous way, but because I wanted to know if there was anything in my life I needed to change. I wanted to become a new person.

Whatever it was, I told the Lord, I was sorry. I knew Jesus had forgiven me and lifted the burden of guilt when I received Him as my Savior, but I had made a lot of mistakes since and was truly sorry. I replayed every situation I had been in since Jesus had found and rescued me over 30 years earlier. I thought about every person I had hurt and every unloving thing I had said or done. I knew that when I arrived in Heaven the Lord was going to review my life, and I wanted to make that process as painless as possible by coming clean now.

I was put on a waiting list for a liver transplant–a wait that lasted 20 months. During that time, the illness began to affect my brain. I became confused and started losing my memory. At times when I was out of the hospital and needed to get home, I would get lost in my own neighborhood. It was frightening!

Then one night, after some serious soul-searching, a man appeared in my room. He turned to me and said that He loved me. I thought at first that I was hallucinating, but I wasn’t–it was real! I knew immediately that the man was Jesus. The room lit up–His love and warmth were that strong–and He kept telling me over and over that He loved me and would always be there. “No matter what you have done, I will always be there. I want to be your best friend.”

As He walked across the room, I thought He was going to bump into a chair, so I said, “Watch out for that chair!” He just chuckled. Who was I to tell Jesus, who with His Father created the universe, to watch out for a chair? What a joke! He had just finished telling me that He wanted to be my best friend, and that’s how it was–like a good laugh between best friends. He didn’t talk to me about my faults. He didn’t mention anything about my past. He didn’t say anything about my illness or whether I would be healed. He only said, “I want to love you, I want to be your friend, and I’ll always be there for you.”

I fell asleep, and when I awoke in the morning I prayed. “I don’t know what happened last night,” I told Jesus, “but if I wasn’t hallucinating, You are going to have to prove it to me.” And that evening it happened again. Jesus appeared in my room and said the same things. The message He was trying to drive home was that anytime I needed Him, He would be there. Since that experience, I can talk to Jesus just like I would talk to anyone else.

A month and a half after my transplant, I developed problems with my new liver and landed back in the hospital, in intensive care. The doctors couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me, and eventually sent me home. I was dying again.

After about a month and a half of intense suffering, I couldn’t stand the pain any longer and told Jesus that I wanted to go home to Heaven. “If You’re not going to heal me,” I told Him, “then take me home.” He chose not to do that, but He was with me when I needed Him most, just like He had promised, and He helped the worst to pass. I’m still here.

I don’t know what else Jesus has in store for me, but I know I’m not the man I was before. He’s also given me the best job in the world–telling people about Jesus and what He’s done for me. I may not be completely healed, but I’m happy to be alive and have a purpose, and I’m going to continue to love and trust Him.

My life is still on the line. I face death every day. All I have left is Jesus, but Jesus is all that matters. I wake up each morning and say, “Lord, keep me through one more day.” And when I get up and open the shades on my window and see the sun shining out there, I shout for joy. I want to get up and dance! Life with my best friend is precious!

Jesus really, really loves you too. He wants to be your best friend, your buddy. And He will always be there for you.

Why Suffering?

Why Suffering?

Jesse’s Glove

Jesse’s Glove

Teacher Becomes Student

Teacher Becomes Student

1. February 3, 2014, 4:06 pm   /  Reply

I really enjoyed this story. I have a friend that just went through a liver transplant with her 16 year old daughter. She has been through so many struggles and her daughter feels so isolated right
    now. I’m going to send your story to her. Please pray for her family (Abby Keen) and also mine, I have a son in prison and 2 other children with epilepsy. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, but I have Jesus in my heart and I’m blessed! Thank you for your messages, love in Christ, Melinda 🙂

• Elizabeth
      March 30, 2016, 6:29 pm   /  Reply

I loved the story I can relate to that because my friends son died last year from lgs disease I knew him as well because he always had a great. Smile on his face he wanted to be with his dad who also died 3 weeks before her son and died from cancer I suffered with grief please go get some help with others with grief counseling or go to a support group I went twice because my dad died and than my friend Jean died from cancer it was hard on me.

2. El
    June 15, 2014, 2:52 pm   /  Reply

I too enjoy hearing your personal experience with the Lord. It was at a time i really needed to be encourage the most. My prayer is thGodat God is nowat the center focus of your life. And your trials have built up your strength.

3. Yvette cruz
    September 6, 2014, 6:38 pm   /  Reply

Amazing i am learning so much by trusting God. Without him I am lonely empty. Sad. But with him in my life I fear no One. I trust the Lord. My life is in his hands. I want that one on one relationship. May The Lord shine on all humanity.

4. Elorm
    November 15, 2014, 1:33 pm   /  Reply

The message is life touching and i have really learnt from it .
    I have accepted Jesus as my Lord and personal savior
    I want Jesus to be come my best and closes friend so that He will communicate to me and will hear His voice always…………..Please JESUS come you are invited….

5. chi chi
    December 7, 2014, 11:14 pm   /  Reply

This story touched me because it tells how simple and easy it is to walk with God and make Jesus your friend.
    Am at this stage where I am learning that. For a long time I have felt lonely and wondered why God has chosen to remain silent and distant not withstanding all my prayers.
    Reading testimonies like this teaches me God wants to have that relationship with me and it is something I can achieve.

6. February 12, 2015, 10:18 pm   /  Reply

Your story was heart warming Will you pray for me and my son he’s in prison now and it sseems like they don’t want to let him come home . He been their for almost fourteen years he don’t have but twenty three months left to go. I went to see him last Saturday and he told me that he was tide of being their it was a sad place to be I can’t say I know how he feels because I never been there but my heart as his mother go out to him . The people their don’t care about you so please keep him in your prayers his name is RocShaun Holloway. Thank You And May God Keep On Blessing You.

7. LoveRVJ
    July 2, 2015, 1:24 pm   /  Reply

Such an inspiring testimony of God’s Healing and Grace. 🙂
    Just as so we remember Apostle Paul also had a thorn in his flesh, even though how many times he asked the Lord to remove it, it wasn’t taken away from him. God only told him that “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in your weakness” 2 Corinthians 12:9
    God is using you mightily to touch more lives. And your Best Friend can be everybody’s best friend too. Godbless! Happy reader here 🙂

8. Jennifer
    July 22, 2015, 12:14 pm   /  Reply

This story is really touching. I have an older brother who has a lot of health issues and has had so many close call mishaps. I feel that God is testing him and my family and I pray that whatever and when the Lord decides, he’ll have a home in heaven when that time comes.

9. November 13, 2015, 10:02 am   /  Reply

Hi… Hello.

10. July 26, 2016, 1:40 am   /  Reply

Jesus is my Best friend too. I so have gone through depression. On medicine walking around like a zombie. Life is rely like a rollercoaster withalso turns. He knows the next part and guides you through it all. Hang on to Him always!

11. DAVID
    November 1, 2016, 7:30 pm   /  Reply

i need help

• Susan
      November 28, 2016, 10:11 am   /  Reply

Dear David, the good news is that God, through Jesus Christ our Lord is very aware of your needs and at this moment, He is working on His perfect plan for you. He will provide you with the strength and wisdom you presently need. Work to keep your faith strong, stay close to Him and never lose sight of the unconditional, amazing love He will always have for you. You will be in my prayers.

12. November 18, 2016, 1:37 am   /  Reply

I can relate to this story. I too went through the hep c the liver just about gone. They told me 2 years before I would probably get a live but that wasn’t God’s plan. 2 weeks later I got the call they had a liver for me. I was numb but not really afraid I just knew Jesus was there. It’s a long story but my drs. All prayed before each procedure. I felt the zLords hand upon me. The 16 hour surgery only too 4 and a half hours everything went fine. Since then I’ve had a few scares but no rejection. I went through 2 things of meds to get rid of hep c but they didn’t work. It just wasn’t my time to be healed. Then they got the Harvoni on the market and praise the Lord it worked. No more hep c. With God in charge I am healed of hep c. My health isn’t perfect but 99% better than it was 14 years ago. Praise the Lord. Without him nothing would be as it is now. I love the Lord so much and He gave me a great testemonie for me to spread the word of his love and healing. Those that know me know I had not lived the life I should have but God in his love healed me no matter how I’d lived my life. I witness for Christ with my story and am living proof of His goodness. Thank you Lord Jesus

13. Elsie Rutledge
    March 12, 2017, 6:54 am   /  Reply

I was saved many years ago and as I walked down the life’s past I lost my way though it all but the greatest thing was That my savior stuck right by my side going though every triple I went though And I love him today for all he has done for us all he is the almighty that leads us when we go stray guides us in our faults when we fall he the one who pickes us up each time he is love and I want to love and do for him as he does for me many people don’t know who he is I want to help them help feed hunger I want to be an inspection to life I have done so many things wrong .. but here right now in front of who all reads this Lord Jesus Christ I love you you are my Salvation to all please forgive me when I do wrong help lead me Guid me that I can do all good things according to the will of you . You have blessed Me with one of your Childern that has help me find so much that I would never know he is the Angel you brought for me and my entety happiness for I have been shown that love comes deep with in your spirit and Lord our God is Love Thank you jesus for all you have done for me and all you do for me I love you Unconditionally .